2014-08-27 A fire in Langford today looks like a smeter one.

1)  Smart Meter Fire in Langford

What appears to be a smart meter fire in Langford today. I went to the home this evening and took the attached photo. As more information is available I will share. Please send this to your MLA, along with the Fire Report. How many more families must suffer?

DSC00842-1

http://www.cheknews.ca/fire-sooke-lake-road/

2)   The link on the 3rd item in last night’s update somehow changed to this:

http://www.leominsterchamp.com/news/2014-08-22/Opinions_(and)_Editorial/Wireless_technology_convenient_fun_and_quite_dange.html

3)  All Smart Meters have same design flaws as those in Saskatchewan

In an earlier update I did share the press release by Sensus (the meters in Sask. that are being removed). I would like to remind everyone of a statement made in this article which every MLA needs to be told – all $meters have many of the same design flaws and problems that could lead and have led to failures and fires:

 

Our experience has shown that these issues are systemic in the industry and we are committed to delivering solutions that help our customers to overcome these challenges. I have complete confidence in the employees and technology that carry the Sensus name,” said Bays. “We are committed to providing safe products through engineering excellence and testing to industry standards.” 

 http://sensus.com/web/usca/news/display/results-of-smart-meter-investigation-point-to-external-factors-press-release


4)  Is the Remote disconnect Switch responsible for Smart Meter Fires?

One design flaw that is common to many $meters, including the ITRONs used in BC is the remote disconnect switch. BC Hydro wanted a $meter with this feature so that power could be cut remotely when people fail to pay bills or move.

This is a flaw that has been identified by many electrical engineers, one that has been brought to BC Hydro’s attention (and ignored). This remote switch is responsible for fires in Florida.

Overheating Concerns: Lakeland Electric to Replace 10,657 Residential Smart Meters Officials fear overheating; six residential meters have caught fire. by John Chambliss – The Ledger – August 26, 2014:
http://www.theledger.com/article/20140826/NEWS/140829388/1002/sports?Title=Overheating-Concerns-Lakeland-Electric-to-Replace-10-657-Residential-Smart-Meters-&tc=ar

5)   A splashy advertising campaign for “$$mart” appliances.

 

http://files.meetup.com/16281692/BEN%20-%20Smart%20Appliances.pdf
 

6)  Smart Meters cannot communicate with their collectors

In today’s Times Colonist, a question re. strata buildings where $meters’ signals cannot reach the collectors:

http://www.timescolonist.com/condo-smarts-stratas-and-smart-meters-1.1330132   My response is below in “letters”

*******************************

Letters:

 

 

From: Dennis and Sharon Noble [mailto:dsnoble@shaw.ca]
Sent: August 27, 2014 10:43 AM
To:tony@choa.bc.ca
Subject: BC Hydro’s smart meters

Dear. Mr. Gioventu,

I read with interest your article about strata councils’ responsibility re. requests for additional equipment to allow BC Hydro’s smart meters to function.

According to our lawyer, BC Hydro must obtain permission from owners of any property before they can attach something like a range extender. BC Hydro made the mistake of not selecting a meter that would function in circumstances such as being in a concrete electric room.  Meters connected via fiber optic cable would have been a preferable option.

Your members should be told that, first, these meters are wireless and as such emit RF radiation that is a 2b (possibly cancer-causing) carcinogen according to the World Health Organization. Range extenders are cellular devices that also emit RF radiation, and will increase the level of exposure for those living in the building.

It is not unreasonable for a strata council to refuse to have such devices on their buildings.

As well as being a health hazard, these smart meters pose safety risks. Some places, such as Saskatchewan have banned smart meters due to fires; they have stopped installations and are having all smart meters removed and replaced with the older type meters. I have recently begun to examine the number of fires and failures that could have led to fires related to these meters here in BC, and my initial findings are in a report that can be found at www.stopsmartmetersbc.com .

I suggest that your members deserve to be made aware of these issues, and precautions should be taken. Those who live in a building where the smart meters are in an insulated room or one that is underground, far from living areas, are fortunate, and hopefully they will refuse to allow a range extender to be installed. BC Hydro has the responsibility of having meter readers continue to provide a service to their customers.

If you have any questions or would like more information, please let me know.

Regards,

Sharon Noble
Director, Coalition to Stop Smart Meters
Victoria, BC
 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *