See all details = BC Conference FINAL OCT 28-1
Click here to see slide presentation – 39 very informative slides
This items was lifted from an email sent from EMF Refugee
see http://www.emfrefugee.co for more information
First US Public School District Limits Wi-Fi Radiation Exposure to Students and Staff
Ashland, Massachusetts Public Schools have implemented Wi-Fi Device “Best Practices” which include turning the Wi-Fi off when not in use and keeping devices on a table.
Ashland, MA — (SBWIRE) — 09/28/2015 — Based on its own review of the matter, the Ashland Public School District is reducing wireless radiation exposures to children by instituting district wide “best practices for mobile devices”. Spurred by parent Cecelia Doucette’s concerns about the lack of safety data on Wi-Fi and children, the district investigated the issue and developed a policy to substantially reduce wireless exposures to students and staff. Doucette not only brought the issue to the district’s attention, but then also worked with state legislatures who introduced two bills concerning electromagnetic radiation this session. The Environmental Health Trust submitted written testimony on MA Senate Bill 1222 after expert scientists presented information on wireless health risks at a briefing at the Massachusetts State House in June 2015.
Since wireless devices are constantly emitting radiation even when the user is not using the Internet, the instruction to “turn it off when not in use ” stops the Wi-Fi antennas from continuously emitting radiation and is one simple way to reduce the radiation dose and exposure time for children and staff.
Instructions for “Best Practices” are posted in every classroom and include:
– Turn off the device when not in use
– Turn Wi-Fi on only when needed
– Always place the mobile device on a solid surface
– Viewing distance should be a minimum of 12 inches from the screen
– Specific product information guides are available through the IT department
– We ask that staff members regularly remind and instruct students in using best practices in regards to mobile devices
Ashland’s Best Practice of “keeping the device on a table” and no closer than a 12 inch viewing distance is critically important. Laptops and tablets have fine print warnings buried in their manuals specifically stating that the laptop should be at least 8 inches away from the user so that the user is not exposed to radiation levels that exceed as-tested FCC levels. If a device is used on a lap, as is common practice, the student could receive radiation levels far exceeding FCC limits. FCC limits are set to prevent the radiation from heating the brain and body but are not set to avoid chronic impacts on the developing nervous system or reproductive organs.
Many are unaware of FCC fine print advisories in the manuals of every wireless device confirming as-tested distances set to avoid heating. Cell phones, laptops and even baby monitors have these specific instructions in their product information guides. By referring to the product information guides, Ashland Public Schools are informing people about the need to keep a distance between the device and our bodies. As a public service, Environmental Health Trust (EHT) has compiled these fine print warnings on their website Showthefineprint.org.
It is important to note that even if users comply with these FCC recommended distances as stated in the device manual, accumulating research shows that biological damage can occur from wireless radiation levels far lower than these FCC levels. FCC limits are only set to protect people from heating harm and do not address non-thermal effects.
This ground breaking policy action by the Massachusetts school district is indicative of the wave of parents raising concerns about Wi-Fi across the country. Ashland, Massachusetts parent Cecelia Doucette wrote an article in Ashland Local Town Pages about these new best practices. Significant news and print media have picked the issue up after Massachusetts parents filed a lawsuit against a private boarding school alleging the school did not accommodate their 12-year-old child’s diagnosed debilitating sensitivity to the school’s WiFi system.
Ashland is the first US public school to create such policy on wireless transmitting devices. However, this US Massachusetts school district now joins dozens of schools and governments that have already implemented even more stringent measures to reduce wireless exposure to children. For example, Israel and France have banned Wi-Fi in kindergarten. The European Union recommends wired Internet rather than wireless in schools.
“Right To Know” efforts by local governments are also moving across the United States. A judge just upheld Berkeley’s new Cell Phone Right To Know Ordinance which requires cell phone sellers to tell customers about these FCC radio frequency radiation distances.
Suffolk County in New York voted to label wireless routers in all public buildings including schools. The US United Federation of Teachers Union now hosts a webpage on how to reduce exposures to protect pregnant women, other staff members and students.
The Environmental Health Trust maintains a regularly updated database of these worldwide precautionary policies on wireless related to children and schools.
About Environmental Health Trust
Environmental Health Trust (EHT) educates individuals, health professionals and communities about controllable environmental health risks and policy changes needed to reduce those risks. Currently EHT is raising health concerns about wireless in schools and recommending safer hardwired internet connection installations. The foundation’s website is the go-to place for clear, science-based information to prevent disease.
http://www.emfrefugee.co“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.”
– Dalai Lama
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” – George Orwell “The Autonomic system is affected by microwaves of the centimeter wave length band. These waves affect circulation, respiration, temperature control, water balance, albumin and sugar concentration in the cerebro-spinal fluid, hydrogen ion concentration, EEG, GSR, sleep, conscious awareness, etc.” – W. Bergman (The Effect of Microwaves on the Central Nervous System)
Embryos, newborn babies, children of all ages, the sick and the elderly are especially being harmed today because Health Canada, Industry Canada and B.C.’s Provincial Health Officer are NOT telling us the truth about the very real – KNOWN – harm humans and all living things experience when constantly exposed to the kind of microwave radiation emitted by today’s wireless devices – including baby monitors and Smart Meters!
The only PEOPLE who say this radiation is safe are those profiting from the sale of wireless products. The only STUDIES showing that this radiation is safe are those paid for by Industry!
Informed people everywhere know the following are verifiable facts:
1) July 2014, 53 scientists from 18 countries openly condemned Canada’s radiation ‘guidelines’ and urged Health Canada “to intervene to prevent an emerging health crisis”!
2) In July 2014, 22 Canadian doctors openly condemned Canada’s so-called ‘safe’ radiation Exposure Limits and urged Health Canada “to protect Canadians from today’s wireless radiation”;
3) In June 2015, more than 200 world-class scientists from 40 countries signed the International Scientists’ Appeal which was specifically addressed to the Secretary General of the United Nations, to all U.N. member-countries and to the Director General of the World Health Organization calling on all parties to “protect humans and wildlife from the dangers of wireless technology.”
4) Insurance companies will not insure any wireless device against lawsuits alleging health-related illnesses attributed to wireless radiation! Disgracefully, Canada’s own federal government and the wireless and electric power industries have successfully convinced municipal governments that wireless is safe — and extremely profitable!
Mankind’s only salvation today is women: when mothers and grandmothers finally learn the truth, their united voices will stop this genocide and force all governments to restore decency and democracy to Canada!
James G. (“Jerry”) Flynn, Captain (Retired)
The aim of this study was to investigate whether a 15-minute placement of a 3G dialing mobile phone causes direct changes in EEG activity compared to the placement of a sham phone. Furthermore, it was investigated whether placement of the mobile phone on the ear or the heart would result in different outcomes. Thirty-one healthy females participated. All subjects were measured twice: on one of the two days the mobile phone was attached to the ear, the other day to the chest. In this single-blind, cross-over design, assessments in the sham phone condition were conducted directly preceding and following the mobile phone exposure. During each assessment, EEG activity and radiofrequency radiation were recorded jointly. Delta, theta, alpha, slow beta, fast beta, and gamma activity was computed. The association between radiation exposure and the EEG was tested using multilevel random regression analyses with radiation as predictor of main interest. Significant radiation effects were found for the alpha, slow beta, fast beta, and gamma bands. When analyzed separately, ear location of the phone was associated with significant results, while chest placement was not. The results support the notion that EEG alterations are associated with mobile phone usage and that the effect is dependent on site of placement. Further studies are required to demonstrate the physiological relevance of these findings.”
2015, Brussels International Scientific Declaration on
EHS = Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity and
MCS = Multiple Chemical Sensitivity
“We therefore ask all national and international bodies and institutions to be aware of this critical environmental health issue and to take urgently their responsibility, more specifically WHO, updating its 2005 and 2014 statement on EHS and recognizing EHS and MCS as part of the WHO International Classification of Diseases (ICD). EHS and MCS should be represented by separate codes under the WHO ICD in order to increase awareness by the medical community and the general public; to foster research on the population that acquires these pathological syndromes; and, to train medical doctors on effective medical prevention measures and treatments.”
Read the full declaration here
Steven Weller worked with computers and cell phones for most of his life and in 2001 and 2002 he developed health problems that he now knows are symptoms of EHS = ElectroMagnetic Hypersensitivity.
Mr Weller has developed a detailed presentation on what he understands to be the issues related to EHS.
You can view this excellent presentation at
The likelihood of developing a non-malignant brain tumor has increased in recent years in the U.S.
According to newly-released data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the overall age-adjusted incidence (per 100,000 persons) of non-malignant brain tumors significantly increased from 2004 through 2012.
The increase was observed among
children 0-19 years of age (1.7 in 2004; 2.3 in 2012)
adults 20 years and older (15.9 in 2004; 19.7 in 2012).
“After ten years of wireless phone use (i.e., cell phone plus cordless phone use), the risk of glioma doubles and after 25 years, the risk triples (Hardell et al, 2013).”
What this tells me is that if the RF Radiation from Smart Meters is similar to that of wireless phones then anyone living or sleeping close to a Smart Meter will also suffer an increased rate of glioma. (Ted)
Health Canada is corrupt and incompetent
This letter is written in regards to the recent RDOS moratorium on smart meters. I would like to congratulate and thank the board of the RDOS on passing the resolution asking for the cessation of the smart meter program. This district becomes the 61st municipal body in B.C. asking for caution regarding the installation of these potentially dangerous devices on homes.
The evidence provided by independent (non-industry affiliated) scientists is overwhelming and has led to more than 200 experts submitting a petition to the United Nations asking for a similar cessation of the proliferation of wireless devices http://www.emfscientist.org/.
These 200 scientists have performed more than 2,000 peer reviewed studies showing that serious harmful effects are suffered after prolonged exposure to even low levels of microwave radiation. Certain groups are especially vulnerable – the unborn, children, and those with compromised immune systems.
RDOS director Michael Brydon says that if what director Tom Siddon presented is correct then Health Canada is corrupt or incompetent. He is right. A quick look at the recent review of Safety Code 6 Health Canada’s guideline for exposure to microwave radiation, will confirm this consensus by the scientific community http://www.cmaj.ca/site/earlyreleases/7may15_scientists-decry-canadas-outdated-wi-fi-safety-rules.xhtml.
The process itself was mired in controversy. The Chair of the Royal Society Panel resigned after his conflicts of interests, taking money from the telecommunication industry, were exposed. Several other members of the panel have long-standing affiliation with the industry and other members have no expertise in the biological effects of wireless radiation.
Health Canada itself selected the studies to be reviewed, cherry picking those that supported the status quo, while neglecting more than 150 recent studies, many of which explain causation. Health Canada is corrupt and incompetent. This is its history – remember asbestos, lead, tobacco and now microwave radiation.
Hans Karow, Summerland, B.C.
Coalition to Reduce Electropollution (CORE)
(see letter on the Osoyoos Times website – http://www.osoyoostimes.com/health-canada-is-corrupt-and-incompetent/)
(editor’s note RDOS = Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen
June 26. 2015 – For Immediate Release
A COURT TOLD ITRON SMART METERS ARE A FIRE HAZARD.
What did ITRON know and when did they know it? They knew these smart meters were dangerous and they knew from the very beginning.
We, the taxpayers who fund BC Hydro, demand a refund from ITRON for selling a defective, dangerous device.
ITRON’s smart meters have design flaws that make them fire hazards. These were sold to many places before they were sold to BC Hydro, so ITRON had to have been aware of problems long before the contract was signed.
Failures and fires have occurred in BC. How many no one knows because no one is tracking.
BCUC was told through the Clean Energy Act and Direction 4 it had no authority to interfere in the smart meter program in any way. BC Safety Authority has been told to butt out of the smart meter program. And the Provincial Fire Commissioner doesn’t track specific causes of fires. So no one knows, except, perhaps BC Hydro and they’re not talking.
But now, through sworn testimony in a legal action in Texas obtained by Sharon Noble, Director of the Coalition to Stop Smart Meters, we learn that there have been many incidents of ITRON Openway smart meters — the same model used by BC Hydro and Fortis BC — failing and burning, palettes of them, according to one testimonial.
Now is the time, before more homes are damaged, and more lives put at risk, to say this program is a fiasco. WE WANT THIS PROGRAM ENDED, AND WE WANT OUR MONEY BACK.
Noble says, “Whenever we purchase something that doesn’t work the way it is supposed to, we can return it and expect our money back. These smart meters were purported to be safe, just as safe as the old analogs. But they aren’t and now we have proof from a completely independent source – a Texas court. Bill Bennett needs to stop this program, recall the smart meters, demand that analogs be put back in place, and send ITRON the bill.”’
Certainly ITRON knew long ago that these meters were cheaply made with flaws that could cause the meters to fail catastrophically. They should have warned us – it should not be up to us to have to fight to protect our homes. WE WANT OUR MONEY BACK.
Letter to BC Minister of Energy and Mines Bennett
From: Dennis and Sharon Noble [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: June 25, 2015 2:25 PM
To: Bill Bennett (firstname.lastname@example.org); ‘email@example.com‘
Cc: John Horgan. Leader NDP;
Christy Clark (firstname.lastname@example.org);
Atamanenko, Alex – Riding 1A; Atamanenko.A@parl.gc.ca; ‘email@example.com‘;
Subject: Smart meter safety risk
VIA REGISTERED MAIL
June 25, 2015
Hon. Bill Bennett
Minister of Energy and Mines
Victoria, BC V8V 1X4
Dear Mr. Bennett:
In 2012 Armen Kassabian, Ontario Fire Marshal, wrote a report that expressed serious concerns about the safety of smart meters, regardless of the brand. They fail. They melt. They burn.
Mr. Bennett, for the last 2 years I have been tracking smart meter failures in British Columbia, and have provided you with evidence showing that there is justification for major concern. Just like the Sensus smart meters in Saskatchewan, the Itron meters in BC have overheated, melted and burned. More failures have occurred in BC than in Saskatchewan, yet you and BC Hydro have taken no steps to ensure the public’s safety. In fact, you and BC Hydro have denied that these meters have failed or put lives at risk.
There is now evidence that you cannot – must not – ignore.
With this letter I have provided a printed copy of a recent lawsuit in Texas that contains testimony given under oath by journeyman linesmen who have worked for utilities for many years. They state that ITRON Openway meters used by Centerpoint Energy in Houston, the very same model being used by BC Hydro and Fortis BC, have failed in large numbers. This document also is available at
Of particular note:
1) Those testifying had confirmed fires and failures with other linesmen and trouble-shooters prior to making the statements. Pg. 25
2) The linesmen reported that the utility had “two pallets of burned up (Itron) meters”. Pg. 8
3) The linesmen reported problems with “meters’ communication with the remote site control and many issues with meters melting and burning up.” Pg. 8
4) Linesmen determined that “part of the problem was a loose connection between the meter and the meter base because the smart meters had thinner “blades” than the previous analog meters” (emphasis added) Pg. 8 This gap could cause arcing leading to fires.
5) Concerns were raised about the ITRON smart meters “creating arc flashes, which could burn the customers’ wiring and create ‘hazardous conditions.’ …These hazardous conditions include potentially causing arc flashes, which could result in anything from minor to third degree burns to technicians who remove the meters.” Pg. 8
6) An experienced trouble-shooter for a utility reported that he had “responded to more fire calls once the smart meters were deployed and these often involved heating problems at the meter base.” Pg. 13
7) “ Reed’s testimony concerned products used by Respondent. Landis + Gyr is the manufacturer of the AMS meter used by Respondent and Itron is the manufacturer of the meters used by CenterPoint Energy in Houston.” Pg. 25
The model used in Houston is the ITRON C2SOD, Openway Centron II the same model used by BC Hydro and Fortis BC.
8) At Oncor and Centerpoint there was a consistent corporate message that utility employees are to tell customers that any problem, whether it’s damaged appliances or a fire, was due to the meter base which is owned by the client, not the smart meter. Pg. 10. This is the same message that, according to Hydro insiders, BC Hydro has given to its employees.
Mr. Bennett, I could provide you with many statistics and data that I have gathered over the last 2 years that would help explain why the meters are a fire hazard, but I believe that is unnecessary. I have provided you with most of them already. Instead, I will summarize what I have found in addition to the details provided above:
1) Electronic digital and smart meters — which are combustible and vulnerable to heat — should have reliable means for immediately disconnecting them from the grid in the entirely foreseeable event of circuit failure (lithium-metal batteries, diodes, electrolytic capacitors, transistors, etc.). Such reliable means are apparently not provided. With an effectively unlimited current supply from the grid this lack of protection creates a significant fire risk when the meter is combustible as is the ITRON smart meter.
2) I’ve been told by knowledgeable people that the remote disconnect switch apparently is unreliable and poorly designed, having been implicated in fires across North American. To function it relies on other components of the meter that, in all likelihood, would be compromised in the event of overheating or other failures. Arcing, arc flash, and heating from the disconnect switch are also serious hazards that derive from the unprotected grid connection.
3) The meter installation process was questionable, given the lack of qualifications of the personnel recruited to carry out the installations. Use of inadequately qualified installation personnel significantly increases the risk of: (a) failure to observe existing meter base/wiring problems; and (b) damaging the base during exchange; both of these can lead to “hot sockets” with the attendant risk of fire.
4) The meter bases into which these meters are being placed were designed, tested, and CSA approved to hold an electro-mechanical analog meter which is not combustible. . Our multiple requests for proof of certification of the meter base in conjunction with a combustible electronic meter, either digital or smart meter, have been ignored. It is a highly questionable practice, probably illegal, to install electronic meters on a base designed and CSA tested/approved only for electro- mechanical analogue meters.
5) In BC the BC Safety Standards Act exempts BC Hydro and Fortis BC from having their equipment certified by CSA and smart meters have been determined to be utility equipment. The exemption is conditional under section 21-4 which states that utility equipment must be certified safe by a professional electrical engineer licensed in BC. BC Hydro stated it does not have this certification.
6) According to the Fire Commissioner’s Office, BC Hydro is allowed to remove and has removed smart meters from scenes of fires before the fire inspection has been completed “since it is their meter.” This runs counter to the BC Fire Safety Act.
7) BC Hydro has reported that no smart meter has been inspected in its laboratory, Power Tech, after it has failed. Instead all failed meters are returned immediately to Itron for replacement. I have been told in response to a Freedom of Information request that BC Hydro is doing no investigation to determine the reason for the failure.
8) There appears to be no agency that is tracking incidents involving smart meters.
The BC Utility Commission, according to the BC Utilities Commission Act, has responsibility to ensure BC Hydro’s products and practices will not endanger the public. With regard to the smart meter program, the BCUC informs me this responsibility has been overruled by the Clean Energy Act and Direction 4 because it has been told it cannot interfere in the smart meter program in any way, even with regard to public safety.
The BC Safety Authority, which normally ensures that electrical devices are safe and that any unsafe devices are reported, advised me that they have been told that they have no authority regarding the smart meter program.
9) Fire reports have indicated the cause of some fires to be due to failed electrical distribution equipment. Len Garis, in the report commissioned by BC Hydro, stated that reference to electrical distribution equipment usually refers to meters.
10) Budgets to fire departments have been reduced to the point where departments do not have the resources to determine causes of all fires. Many fires are not reported even after 2 years. In addition, one fire chief told me that they were told to rule out arson, and not bother going further. As a result in many cases, the fire’s cause is given as “undetermined.” Of the fires for which I’ve requested reports from the Fire Commissioner, 50% have no determined cause!
11) Because of the lack of resources, investigations are carried out by people with limited electrical fire forensics ability, and, therefore, it is possible that many fires that might be associated with smart meters are going undetected. As a result, it is possible that many problems are going undetected and unremedied, jeopardizing the property and lives of British Columbians.
12) Regulations in Quebec require that Hydro-Quebec ensures that smart meters are not within 3 meters of a propane tank. If the tank or meter cannot be removed, then the remote disconnect switch, which has been found to have been involved in fires in Saskatchewan, must be disabled. It seems prudent that similar precautionary measures should be taken regarding proximity of smart meters to any flammable materials. I wrote to you, Mr. Bennett, and BC Hydro authorities on June 4 asking what precautionary steps BC Hydro would be taking, and to date I received no response.
Our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Section 7, grants Canadian citizens the right to refuse actions by the government that the citizens believe to be harmful.
Further, “the Federal Court of Appeal has opened the door to lawsuits against government regulators for negligent administration of their regulatory schemes and created the possibility of suing a regulator for damages under public law if the regulator violates a clear duty to act or exercises its public power in an “irrational” or “clearly wrong” manner.”
Based upon the information I’ve provided to you, I believe it is safe to say that this smart meter program has major problems that cannot be ignored any longer. You, Mr. Bennett, as Minister of Energy, are responsible for allowing this program to continue. With receipt of this package of material, which I am sending via registered mail, you cannot say you didn’t know that these smart meters are fire hazards.
I am sure that your concern for the safety and welfare of your constituents is paramount. Based upon the information I’ve presented, this concern is best addressed by halting the program and removing the smart meters, pending an investigation.
Should you wish further information about anything that I’ve said, please ask.
This will be sent to All MLAs